[Sca-cooks] trivets and dutch ovens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 23:24:10 PDT 2005

  Helewyse mentioned:
> I've also had great sucess with dutch ovens.  If you put a trivet in
> the bottom you can then bake anything you would at home. I've baked
> cinnamon rolls, cheesecake, fruit pies, blind baked pastry, meat pies
> etc. etc. etc. The camp usually views it as a good sign if I dig out
> the two cast iron dutch ovens at war.

You definitely, definitely want to put a trivet or similar device to
hold the baking foods off of the bottom of the dutch oven. You can use
three rocks with a metal plate on top of them, for instance.

Years and years ago, back in the Boy Scouts my patrol cooked fruit
turnovers in an aluminum dutch oven. We didn't know about needing that
air space. The top portions of the turnovers were wonderful. The
bottoms however were burned solidly to the dutch oven. It took a hammer
and chisel back in town to finally get the last of the burned on crust
off.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas