[Sca-cooks] camp ovens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 22 23:39:47 PDT 2005

Katira mentioned:
> Just for silly, I will mention that I have been using a nonstick
> butterfly
> omelet pan for years to 'bake' biscuits for myself at SCA events.  I
> use it
> over a diffuser (has a folding handle!) and over a very low flame,
> simply
> turn the omelet pan over several times during the normal cooking time
> and
> checking it now and then.   The biscuits fall to the other side and
> continue
> to cook just fine.  Works like a charm!
>
> Purists - stop reading here, you were warned.......It just fits the 5
> biscuits or cinnimon rolls that come in a tube!!

Thank you! I think I may have to try this next Gulf Wars. Since our
camp consists of just myself and my wife, we don't create, nor do we
have the room and time for, a firepit. We do all our cooking on a
Coleman stove and even that is mainly dishes cooked and then frozen at
home and then warmed up on the stove. And this would let us have
biscuits or cinnamon rolls. And I've got one of those non-stick
butterfly omelet pans here at home. Since I learned to make omelets in
the SPCA camp at Pennsic, I really haven't been using this pan.

My pan is rather thin, as most of these probably are. So, I was
concerned about uneven heating on top of the stove or the outsides
being well cooked and the insides still being doughy. However, your use
of the diffuser and the very low flame takes care of those concerns.

About how long does it take to cook some biscuits or cinnamon rolls
this way?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas