[Sca-cooks] Re: Pasta Experiment Update

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 22 12:45:35 PDT 2005

OK, an update. I went out and purchased standard semolina based pasta
as opposed to the whole wheat and repeated my experiment. The results
were not exactly what I expected. I began with linguine of between 1/8
and 1/4 inch wide.

=====My lady, was this cooked at a full rolling boil, or barely simmered?

So, that's the scoop. Next step is to figure out what to serve it with
and how that works.

=====From everything that I have read, it should be served in a hot mound, with lots of cheese, butter, sugar, and spices mixed in. What spices, I don't know. I'd only be guessing, but it seems pepper and cinnamon might go in there. In my own research, it seems that Sicilians even today eat their pasta not with parmagiano, but with cacciocavallo. Consensus among some folks here is that a provolone would be a good substitute. Another good cheese could be ricotta. And if you can find a sheep's milk ricotta, even better.

Gianotta