[Sca-cooks] Now that our DSL is back online...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Jun 24 01:22:29 PDT 2005

I have to tell you all about the dinner I cooked at Summits Investiture
last Saturday...

The outgoing Princess was a friend of ours (Edouard and I) and she really
needed some decompression, so I offered to host she and the Prince for
dinner after the Investiture court. I made (with a lot of help from younger
daughter Lydia):

Stwed Beeff (Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books)
Macrows (Forme of Cury)
Chickens in Hocchee (Curlye on Inglysch) (yes, again)
a Carrot/Mustard Greens dish that I made up
and a Tarte of Strawberries (A Proper Newe Book)

The Stwed Beeff turned out well- no surprise with half a bottle of wine!
Served with bread to sop the broth.

I cheated on the Macrows- I knew the weather was likely to be ugly and
conditions are already dicey in camp- I used boxed lasagna noodles, boiled
in the broth after I pulled out the chicken, and a sack of pre-grated
'Italian Four-Cheese Blend'. And it was yummy. I know the recipe doesn't
call for it, but I put it in the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese
a bit and brown it on top. I like it that way.

The Chickens in Hocchee was more of a success this time- at least I didn't
notice a 'hot', raw garlic taste. And the bird was moist (go figure) and
flavorful, and well received.

The carrots and greens was a fallback- I'd planned on making 'Cariota', but
couldn't find any fennel. So I faked it- boiled the carrots in broth,
sauteed the greens in butter and olive oil till they slumped, then stirred
them together, adding some parsley and a dash of white wine vinegar. It was
delicious.

The Tart of Strawberries was very good, though somewhat challenging.
Sprinkled the sugar over the berries before smooshing them through the
colander (makes the juice run and the berries soften a bit), which Lydia
did with great gusto. Mixed it with the eggs (pre-beaten), bread crumbs,
and butter (melted  in a little pipkin on the top of the oven). Then I
discovered that I'd forgotten the crust! (I use pre-made crusts in camp.)
So I put it directly in the pan and called it a custard, baked it, then
garnished with a few strawberries that I'd held back, and served it up.
Very yummy. The new viscount was especially enjoying it, and went back for
several helpings.

All that and a bottle of Interlocken made for a delightful evening. A local
Duchess joined us, and she enjoyed the dinner enough to ask me for my
redactions! (Not easy to do, as I'm something of a 'seat of the pants' cook
who usually doesn't use measures!) Mailed that off today...

I find that a dinner is best when shared with others, and a great deal of
the joy is in the process- showing my daughter how to removed the giblets,
stuff, and pin closed a chicken with skewers was a pleasure (though kinda
gross) that I wouldn't have missed for the world...

'Lainie