[Sca-cooks] 10th c Irish Feast

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jun 28 20:35:33 PDT 2005

It is the time when I start making plans for the 10th Century Irish
feast we do each August.
(If anyone is in reach of Central Ohio, please do join us!)

Someone had commented that Cormarye was possibly an early recipe and
it sounded interesting. Nothing in it that is out of place in 1005.

Then I found this comment in the Florilegium: "Conspicuous absentees"
from among the Dublin finds were said to be coriander, and hops.  Is
coriander is appropriate for 10th Century Ireland?

One of our members is allergic to wine (and grapes and wine vinegar).
Could I substitute beer or mead?

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pork-msg.html
Cormarye. Take colyaundre, caraway smale grounded, powdour of peper and
garlec ygrounde, in rede wyne; medle alle thise togyder and salt it. Take
loynes of pork rawe and fle of the skyn, and pryk it wel with a knyf, and
lay it in the sawse. Roost whan thou wilt, & kepe that that fallith therfro
in the rostyng and seeth it in a possynet with faire broth, & serve it forth
with the roost anoon.

Rosehips are on the list of foods found in Dublin, how would they
have been cooked?  I wondered about Pears, Rosehips and Honey,
instead of the later Pears cooked in wine.

This is the tentative menu:

Served hot:
Chicken braised with leeks and parsley
Pork in Cormaye Sauce ??
Salmon
Carrots, Turnips, and Parsnips roasted
Barley and Hazelnuts

Served cold:
Cured salmon, herring
Pears with Rosehips ??
plums, peaches, cherries, berries, other fruit in season
Cheese, homemade and purchased
Mustard sauce, Garlic sauce
Bread, Oatcakes
Butter, honey, salt