[Sca-cooks] FWIW

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 21:11:26 PDT 2005

I would think that "fleur de farine" would translate as "Flower of flour" meaning the best of flour, just as "fleur de chevalier" means the best of knights.  And in this case, the plant is mentioned.  The term is "fleur de cannell" is it not?  Or was it "fleur de cassia?"  I've forgotten...

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca wrote:

I have to disagree with this - in period manuscript, 'fine fleur de farine'
always refer to a very fine grade flour. The expression is sometimes shortened
simply to 'fine fleur', or even just 'fleur'. Flour is generally implied.

When flowers are called for in recipes the plant is always mentioned (fleur de
rose, fleur d'oranger, etc...).

Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies