[Sca-cooks] FWIW

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 28 19:34:10 PDT 2005

In modern French, Flower is Fluer, Flour is Farine.  In French, they do not sound like the same word, so it is unlikely they would have been interchangeable.

FWIW
In modern French, Flower is Fluer, Flour is Farine.  In French, they do not sound like the same word, so it is unlikely they would have been interchangeable.

Re: [Sca-cooks] flower vs flour

I have to disagree with this - in period manuscript, 'fine fleur de farine'
always refer to a very fine grade flour. The expression is sometimes shortened
simply to 'fine fleur', or even just 'fleur'. Flour is generally implied.

When flowers are called for in recipes the plant is always mentioned (fleur de
rose, fleur d'oranger, etc...). Actually the plant name on its own would be
misleading (if I ask for rose, do I mean the petals, the whole flower, the stem
- ouch - ...)

I do not know when 'fleur de farine' became simply 'farine' but I would guess it
happened when milling techniques reached a level that allowed for a permanent,
easy and cheap production of finest grade flour.

Petru