[Sca-cooks] Sugar free sports drink alternative

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jun 29 16:43:24 PDT 2005

To bring all interested parties up to speed, the recipe following is one I
rec'd from Ostgardr List a couple days ago. It was developed by Sir Omarad
of the Middle Kingdom, and I forwarded it on to Chirurgeon's List, to get
comments, and as a heads up if people are going to be using it.

The important point is that some people are allergic or sensitive to
alternative sweeteners, so I attempted to find out what the sweetener was in
Sugar Free Kool-Aid, and got the following reply from Kraft Foods:

"Kool-Aid mixed drink is available in a variety of flavors and several forms
including unsweetened, presweetened with sugar and presweetened with
NutraSweet . "

The recipe appears to be a good one (understanding, I'll drink water-
dislike artificial flavors, no matter how they're sweetened), and I think
that it might be quite useful to our diabetics, as well as others, if they
modify it to use the unsweetened Kool-Aid and the sweetener of their choice.
Please, though, make absolutely sure that if you use this, that the
recipients are aware that you're using an artificial sweetener, and which
one- we don't need fighters dropping on the field in anaphalactic shock!!!!

Helen, please pass this information back to Sir Omarad so that he is
reminded to tell people that they're getting an artificial sweetener.

And, please, always remember, that we dilute Gatorade to 50% strength,
because WATER is the most important ingredient.

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> A recipe for home-made sugar-free Gatorade substitute came over another
list
> this morning, credited to Sir Omarad of the Middle Kingdom.
>                            -Helen/Aidan
>
> > "I had researched sugar free sports drinks before and had come up with a
> > lot
> > of recipes which all had a lot in common. This is the esiest I can find
> > and
> > very closely resembles commercial gatorade/powerade without the sugar.
The
> > Potassium can also be found in salt substitutes at the grocery store or
> > Potassium tablets can usually be found at any vitamin isle. Even
Wal-mart
> > carries them.
> >
> > SUGAR-FREE "SPORTS DRINK"
> > 1 packet or container sugar-free drink mix like Kool-aid (enough to make
2
> > qts)
> > 1/4 tsp table salt (sodium chloride)
> > 4 potassium tablets (99 mg each) or salt sub. equivalent
> > 2 quarts water
> >
> > Take about 1/4 cup of the water and put in a cup with the potassium
> > tablets.
> > Heat in the microwave until the water gets close to boiling. Stir to
> > dissolve the tablets. Add the salt and stir.
> > Put the drink mix in a pitcher, add water, and stir until the drink mix
is
> > dissolved. Add the salt/potassium solution and mix thoroughly. Chill.
> > Per 8-oz serving:
> > 5 cal, about 75 mg sodium, 50 mg potassium.
> > To compare to other drinks:
> > -------------- Sodium ----- Potassium
> > Gatorade:----- 110 mg ------- 30 mg
> > All Sport:----- 55 mg ------- 50 mg