[Sca-cooks] Chickens in Hochee-

rbbtslyr rbbtslyr at comporium.net
Wed Jun 1 08:53:55 PDT 2005

Actually find a 2 or 3 year old rooster and you will have close to a period bird.  Spare Roosters and cockerls are what were generally cooked until a hen quit laying for good.  A hen can earn her keep up to 3 or 4 years before she lays fewer eggs than what is needed to cover her feed. The eggs tend to be fewer but larger. The same with domestic ducks. Often a cockerl or rooster is slaughtered for older dished fixed traditionally at 6 months to 2 years. Connective tissue equals flavor in sauced most of the older dishes would of used these birds.  A Rooster would go to the pot when a better one was born, cockerls as they will fight for hens and are only needed at 10 or 15 hens to 1 rooster for maxium fertil egg production, and about 25 to 1 still gives a reasonable rate.  Depending on where your dish is from you would want a Heavy Breed, or a Light Breed bird for you dish The Med had Light Breeds (mostly white egg layers) Northern Europe Dark eggs and there are a couple of breeds that go almost back to period but I wouldn't worry about finding a rare bird to cook but a general or double duty breed of one of those types would be a good choice.

I have RIR and Orps for eggs and meat, older cockerls at about 5 to 6 months my wonderful pies, stews and dumplings.

Kirk KA4PXK

Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons, for thou art Chrunchy and Taste Good with Catsup or BBQ Sauce

Liberty Hill, SC Elevation 571 ft

Liberty Hill, SC (Kershaw)
Longitude: 80° 48' 7" W (-80.8019°)
Latitude: 34° 28' 41" N (34.4781°)