[Sca-cooks] Chickens in Hochee-

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 1 11:01:38 PDT 2005

 > Actually find a 2 or 3 year old rooster and you will have close to a
>period bird.  Spare Roosters and cockerls are what were generally
>cooked until a hen quit laying for good.  A hen can earn her keep up to
>3 or 4 years before she lays fewer eggs than what is needed to cover
>her feed.

Well, it's interesting. Many recipes (such as "Hen in Broth") specify
the gender of the chicken to be cooked, even when you aren't counting
capons (neutered cockerells).

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers