[Sca-cooks] Chickens in Hochee-

rbbtslyr rbbtslyr at comporium.net
Wed Jun 1 12:03:06 PDT 2005

They would of been older hens, spent from laying in their 3 or 4th year and not laying as well as younger birds. Even during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s, many dishes discussed the advantage of the gender of chickens to be cooked for some dishes.  I have some old farm mags that do, the main point is an older bird cooked so the connective tissues breakdown add great flavor to the dishes. This is why stock is made from such things and necks and feet that we don't eat, it uses what would be wasted and adds great flavor.

 As it is hard to find  older birds now adays it might pay one trying to properly recreate a period dish to find if possible spent pullets or old roosters or at least half or better grown cockerls.  I have organic birds for the family and for a few eggs to sell and give away.  I  have saved a few cockerls for some dishes trying for the stronger flavor and it was worth it. Some French dishes if you read the orginal receipes call for 3 or 4 year old roosters, for proper flavor.

Kirk

Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons, for thou art Chrunchy and Taste Good with Catsup or BBQ Sauce

Liberty Hill, SC Elevation 571 ft

Liberty Hill, SC (Kershaw)
Longitude: 80° 48' 7" W (-80.8019°)
Latitude: 34° 28' 41" N (34.4781°)