[Sca-cooks] question about breads

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 1 10:30:42 PDT 2005

>  In a few modern cookbooks I have read the dough being
> frozen prior to rising, then when needed, bring dough
> out of the freezer, cover and let thaw and rise, then
> bake.  Has anyone tried this?  With everything else I
> will be doing the day or 2 before, I think it would be
> easier to thaw in stages and bake, then to have to
> keep stopping in the middle of chopping veggies, ect
> to mix dough,etc.

That's an option. I would say using the sponge method to do a few breads
every day, and freezing them.

> I have also heard of completeing the process and then
> freezing the baked bread then thawing to serve.  My
> only experience w/ this was w/ bread bowls that we
> made for stews.  At that point, you want it kind of
> day old/hard or you end up w/ mush. I don't want hard
> bread for feast.

We've had good luck with freezing bread. I would suggest using various
methods to make sure the crusts are soft rather than crisp, and freezing
them quickly, helps.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers