[Sca-cooks] Re: question about breads

she not atamagajobu at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 15:14:59 PDT 2005

From: Alexa

I will be making bread for an upcoming event. Due to
time and lack of large kitchen space, per norm, I
would like to premake the bread. Any suggestions?

In a few modern cookbooks I have read the dough being
frozen prior to rising, then when needed, bring dough
out of the freezer, cover and let thaw and rise, then
bake. Has anyone tried this?

I used to buy frozen bread dough all the time (from amish stores, supermarkets or schwanns, depending on where i was), put it on a cookie sheet in the oven just before I went to bed, flip the oven on as soon as I woke up -6ish-, and had hot fresh bread dripping with butter by the time I had to jump in the truck for work. mmm..and jealous co-workers. the dough is usually set and shaped for its last rise, oiled and wrapped in plastic before freezing- just tumble it out of the plastic and onto the pan.

I have also heard of completeing the process and then
freezing the baked bread then thawing to serve.  I don't want hard
bread for feast.

Never had any problem thawing frozen bread either..if it's soggy outside, shove it in the oven to crisp up. (i.e., don't  wrap it for freezing till it's completely cool, so there's no moisture trapped in the plastic) If it's hard, use the refreshing trick for stale bread..run it under cold water or quickly dunk it and put it right on the rack in the oven for a few minutes.  if very stale, put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven to steam it at the same time. Note..this does NOT work with presliced or cut bread..only whole loaves.

good luck! gisele

"all men are intrinsical rascals, and I am only sorry that not being a dog I can't bite them."   Lord Byron