[Sca-cooks] Roman Banquet Menu

Celia des Archier CeliadesArchier at cox.net
Thu Jun 2 18:10:36 PDT 2005

Thanks for the point to the Florilgium.  I was reading some of that last
night but I didn't find any recommendations for a the type of fast, easy way
that you've used.  Your own process is close to the idea that was
germinating in my own mind, i.e., starting with anchovy paste and a modern
fish sauce, then trying to adjust for the fermentation process. My own
philosophy is that I'm always looking for as simple a way as possible to
recreate something as close to what we think they would have had, rather
than trying to reproduce the process authentically, since the end result I'm
looking for is something that is both edible/acceptable to a modern palate
while at the same time presenting as close as possible the flavor of what
our research tells us would have been used in period. I guess I try to
strike a balance between "form and function".  It sounds like you achieved
that quite well :-)

The amount of information in the "Flori-thingy" is both awesome and at times
overwhelming.  I cannot imagine how much work it takes to put that together,
but THL Stefan is certainly owed a great debt of thanks for it's
availability and upkeep!  I get lost in there every time I go to look it up
(it's like surfing the net, or going to the library...  one thing leads to
another, then to another... next thing you know you're looking up and you've
!eek! spent 6 hours in the "stacks", so to speak.)

IYS,
Celia