[Sca-cooks] Roman Banquet Menu

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 2 16:56:14 PDT 2005

You can find a long discussion on this, archived in the Florilgium under
FOOD - CONDIMENTS - Garum.  I used a quicker method using anchovy paste,
although I made it months ago and it has been aging in the fridge.
Basically a mixture of anchovy paste, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil,
and a touch of Thai fish sauce (I think it was the Thai version, it wasn't
my bottle so I don't have it now to refer to).  There are dicussions about
sucessfully making a version with whole fish in a barrel described in the
Florilegium.  I suppose I could have called it Quick- or Faux- or Pseudo-
Garum/Liquamen, but getting them to smell it and try it was enough of a
challenge.  :)
Christianna