[Sca-cooks] English Doctors want to ban pointy knives...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 2 18:39:55 PDT 2005

> Was written:
>
>> You can criminalize the use of any tool.  The question is whether the
>> citizenry will obey the law.
>>
> IIRC the Brits, during their foray into Ireland, criminalized the carrying
> of staffs over a certain thickness and length.  Anyone recall the
> particulars?
>
> Daniel

I don't recall seeing this but I can believe it.  There is a tale about a
French general who declared a company of Irishmen with shillelaghs to be
against the rules of civilized warfare.  And in the late 13th Century, the
Lincolnshire court records showed that the most common implement of unlawful
death was the quarterstaff.

Bear