Creative Supplimentation (was RE: [Sca-cooks] English Doctors want to ban pointy knives...)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 03:14:43 PDT 2005

Hi Celia!

As a long time resident of the Kingdoom of Caid [31 years next Sept.] and a Feast chef for
almost as long, another reason for the lack of frequent banquets and a lack camping events in Caid
is that, not counting our Hawaiian territories, we are a very compact kingdom and Southern
California is a very heavily populated area.  People can drive to one day events and go home
to a warm bed and clean showers.

If you have had the opportunity to ever drive from Califia [San Diego] to Angels [Los Angeles],
you will notice that as you drive north there are very few areas of wilderness or rural farmland.
Just a whole lot of interconnected cities.  Consequently, wild, open areas in Caid are few
and far between.  So, our camping events are the wars, of which there are currently six.  Although
there has been a push in Caid to restart the West-Caid wars.  If that happened, that would
be seven.

Here in Angels, which is Los Angeles, there are only a couple of parks that have enough territory
to hold a camping event.  One is Griffith Park, which is in the heart of Los Angeles.  I believe
we have tried to have a camping event there, but the park is hideously expensive and located
in an urban area where it is used at night by mundanes of questionable intent.  The event
wasn't well attended and we lost a lot of money.  Another area is Whittier Narrows Park.  It
has very nice facilities and the cost is more reasonable than Griffith Park, but it is located in
a poor neighborhood with heavy gang activity.  We had one camping event there.  The event went
mostly well until a young teenaged girl got up in the middle of the night on a Sunday night to use
the privies and was assaulted by two or three gang members.  Fortunately her screams brought a
couple dozen men with swords drawn which scared away her attackers.  She wasn't injured, just
badly frightened. However, it was decided that the park was just too dangerous to use again.

I was part of the committee that put on our 20th Anniversary Celebration, now 15 years ago.  We
wanted to put on a four day camping event in an area within our borders.  Other than the two
parks I mentioned, most of the campgrounds in our borders were in the mountains, which had nice
camping areas, but no suitable areas for fighting.  We eventually found a privately owned camp
grounds that had a smallish but decent fighting area.  They charged us over $5000 for the weekend.
 I am told that the event was a lot of fun.  I spent all my time putting on two banquets for 300+
people using a very primitive kitchen, i.e. no running water and a few counters, but they did have
a huge 5'x3' charcoal grill, a propane griddle and a 25 gallon propane coffee pot.  I managed
to serve period foods quite successfully.  The first night was a Royal feast of 15 dishes,
servers and table decorations.  The second night was a beggar's feast, where we feed the
leftovers + a few extras and the diners had to beg the cooks for their supper.  I spent
Labor Day scrubbing borrowed pots and being generally exhausted.

When I first joined the SCA, getting decent halls for events was relatively easy and cheap.
We used to have a lot of banquets, mostly consisting of period foods.  However, as church's
budgets tightened, they began to raise prices until it is difficult to find a hall for less
than $1000 for one night.  A couple of years ago, I found a great hall for 12th Night, but
I had to wheedle, cajol and plead poverty to get the cost of that hall down to $2000 for
the one night.  And if you are putting on a smaller event, like a baronial anniversary,
$2000 is just not affordable.   There are three events that usually bring in enough people
to warrant a large banquet, and they are 12th Night and Spring and Fall Coronation.  Our
next Coronation is this coming weekend, it has a banquet and is being held in Califia.

As for getting game meats for banquets and/or growing ones own food, that just isn't a
possibility here, as very few of our members live in rural areas where one can grow enough
food to put on a 300+ banquet.  As for using and or finding game meats, it is very costly
for one person to go hunting here and the limits are such that one person couldn't provide
enough meat for an entire banquet.  Such meats are very costly when purchased in a supermarket.

As for your experience with camping at Potrero.  Households are not all the same.  You can
find in Caid every kind from the extremely period reenactors down to the guys who are just
there for the fighting, drinking and jiggle bunnies, who don't give a darn what they eat
as long as it tastes good, is plentiful and is cooked by someone other than themselves.

Caid has several baronial level cooking guilds.  I believe there are at least two in
Califia.  The Baronies of Gyldenholt, Dreiburgan and Wintermist and the Shires of Darach
and of Heatherwyne all have a cooking guild of some sort.  There might be others that I am not
aware of.

Yes, we do have a different approach to what kind of events we hold, but that doesn't make them
any less fun.  And you will find that the events held on mainland Caid are different from
those held in the Barony of Western Seas [Hawaii], both of which are different from that other
kingdoms do.

I hope that you will enjoy your time in Caid.  I hope that someday we can meet.

Huette von Ährens
Barony of Angels, Kingdom of Caid.