[Sca-cooks] Roman Banquet Menu

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 3 22:00:43 PDT 2005

Celia asked:
>   This sounds wonderful, m'Lady!  You mentioned making liquamen.  I
> apologize
> if I missed it earlier, but would you share with us how you made
> liquamen?

Christianna may have more on exactly what recipe she used, but you
might also find some of the information in this Florilegium file in the
FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of the Florilegium to be of interest:
garum-msg        (55K) 8/22/04   Roman fish sauces made from fermented
fish.
                                      Also includes comments on
liquamen.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/garum-msg.html

> Also, thanks so much for sharing the recipes and notations, giving
> those of
> us who are novices to documentation a place to start.  Again, I
> apologize
> for my ignorance,

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about apologizing. We have folks of all
cooking levels on this list from folks who are new to cooking, much
less medieval cooking, to those who have served feasts for hundreds and
folks that have been or are professional chefs. It's likely there are
others who can learn from your questions.  And, well, some of us are
rather known for asking lots of questions. :-)  Some of the questions
I've asked, thinking they would be simple one sentence or two answers,
ended up creating quite a discussion and hopefully were educational for
many.

I'm not sure how large your library of medieval recipe books and books
about medieval food is, but you might be interested in looking through
the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium. There are lots of book
reviews there and some annotated bibliographies. Here are a pair of
files I recommend:
books-food-msg  (149K) 1/24/05   Books about food. Not cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/books-food-msg.html
cookbooks-bib    (44K) 2/15/04   Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

Stefan
--------