[Sca-cooks] Re: question about breads

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 04:32:25 PDT 2005

Bear commented:
> Period breads don't use sugar.

I'd say that it all depends on which breads we are talking about.  There are three recipes for Bread in the Libro Novo (translated by Master Basilius and redacted by Mistress Rachaol, she did a class at Pennsic last year).  There is the Twisted Bread of milk and sugar whose ingredients are: flour, leven, sugar, egg yolks, rose water, milk and salt.  Bagels of milk and sugar (Brazzatelli):flour, leven, sugar, eggs, rose water, butter, milk and salt.  And finally pine nut bread (Mantegate): flour, leven, pine nuts, rose water, egg yolks, sugar, butter and salt.  Admitedly these are fancy breads but in the introduction to the libro novo these are recipes that he says that no table should be without. I've made them, they are sweet but not overly so, very very rich though.

Helewyse