[Sca-cooks] slings

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Jun 4 20:43:09 PDT 2005

Was written:

> That is the example of sling use which many people think of, but to
> bring this back to medieval times, the sling was also used throughout
> the Middle Ages for both hunting and in combat. I doubt that most of
> would be good enough with it to get supper with one, though. :-)

The hand sling was, if I am not mistaken, traditionally a rural
peasant/poacher's weapon used to bag small game, i.e. the occasional
squirrel, rabbit etc.  Sort of a medieval 22.  Yes it would require practice
to use effectively but I would think that a bored sheepherder, pigherder,
cattleherder etc. would have plenty of time to achieve reasonable
proficiency as well as the incentive to do so if only to supplement his
diet.   Of course hand chunking a smooth creek stone might be nearly as
effective given sufficient practice.  Be that as it may I seem to recall
reading that clay sling bullets have been found at battle sites in the
middle east.  Does anyone recall any specific references?

There was a short article I read quite a few years back written by a fellow
over in Meridies regarding the staff sling as a instrument of war.
Essentially it was apparently a "hand trebuchet" peasant levy weapon which,
if used in mass fire mode, could presumedly interdict a specified area of
effect with a substantial hail of projectiles.  Intuitively it would seem to
have been less effective than massed arrow fire, albeit requiring less
training and expense, yet questions remain in my mind as to maximum
effective range vs. presumed appropriate projectile weights.  Does anyone
recall any specific references?

Daniel