[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Madness

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Jun 5 10:57:51 PDT 2005

At 10:37 AM 6/5/2005, you wrote:

>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> > And I need to do something about the ants that have found the sugar.
> >
> > I guess I'll depart the list for now and see about lunch and the two
>papers
> > I'm working on.
> >
> > Bear
>
>When you come back, to remove the ants from the sugar, but the sugar in a
>thin layer on a flat pan, and run it under the broiler for a few seconds-
>not enough to cook the sugar, just enough to vaporize the ants.
>
>Sprinkling dry grits around will eventually kill them.
>
>A "fence" of detergent will encourage them to forage elsewhere, until the
>grits kill them.

We have occasional problems with wee tiny ants, mostly in the bathroom, but
sometimes in the kitchen. Regina mixes up a slurry of honey and borax, and
puts it out where they are hanging out, smooshed into a shallow jar lid or
a spoon. They think it's great- for awhile. And then we don't see them anymore.

In the shorter term, I like to spray them and their trails  with a
spray-on, leave-in hair conditioner (Aussie makes a good one). I don't know
what it does to them, but they don't like it.

I also discovered, one day many years ago when I couldn't find the bug
spray and a bee was in the kids' room, that a spritz of hair spray does
wonders. It kills the insect- suffocates them. But more importantly, it
gums up their wings and immobilizes them. That makes it easier for you
to  squish them or pick them up or whatever.

'Lainie