[Sca-cooks] A suggestion taken...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 18:06:22 PDT 2005

--- Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Well, of all the names offered, we've decided that "Swage" is it ;-) A good
> name for a blacksmith's dog ;-)
>
> Checked in the dictionary, and apparently the word is derived from Middle
> English, and then from Middle French,"souage".
>
> Anybody willing to look in the OED for me, see what else it shows?

Done, as you wished.

Huette

Swage, n. 1

[f. SWAGE v.1 Cf. ASSUAGE n.]

    1. Alleviation, relief.

  a1300 Cursor M. 24350 (Edin.) That suim was of mi soruing swage [Cott. suage].

    2. concr. The excrement of the otter. local. (Cf. SWAGING vbl. n.1 3.)

  1834 MEDWIN Angler in Wales II. 217 Curiosity led me to look if any fresh swages of the dourghie
[Welsh dwrfgi otter] were visible. 1893-4 Northumbld. Gloss., Swage, Spraints, excrement of the
otter.

swage, n. 2

[a. OF. souage, -aige, later and mod.F. suage. See also SWEDGE.]

    1. An ornamental grooving, moulding, border, or mount on a candlestick, basin, or other
vessel.

  1374 Acc. John de Sleford (Acc. Exch. K.R. 397/10) m. 2 (Publ. Rec. Off.) Pro duobus paribus
legherneys plauntez cum swages de laton' deauratis. 1399 (May 29) Chancery Warrants Ser. I. File
601. No. 1891, [Six white silver salt-cellars, gilt on the] swages. 1513 in Archaeologia LVI. 333
A bason of syluer all playn the swages gilt. Ibid. 335 A litle candelsticke of siluer, swages gilt
wt a nose. 1517 Ibid. LXI. 86, ij newe chalices with vernacles in the patene the swages of the
patens overgilt. 1539 in W. Herbert Hist. 12 Gt. Livery Comp. Lond. (1836) II. 196 The said Rob't
disceytfully dyd sette swags for feyt to the same pecys [of silver]. 1688 R. HOLME Armoury III.
xiv. (Roxb.) 4/1 The fillet or swage, is that ring or edge which is on the outside ye brime [of a
dish]. 1739 Act 12 Geo. II c. 26 §6 Any Sorts of Tippings or Swages on Stone or Ivory Cases.

    b. A circular or semicircular depression or groove, as on an anvil (cf. swage-anvil in 2b
attrib.)

  1680 MOXON Mech. Exerc. xi. 196 The Point cuts a fine Hollow Circle or Swage in the Flat of the
Board. 1688 R. HOLME Armoury III. 308/2 In the face of this kinde of Anvil are smal halfe round
nicks, which are termed Swages.

    2.    a. = GAUGE n. 11. Obs.

  1688 HOLME Armoury III. 366/2 A..Joyners Gage (of some termed a Swage).

    b. A tool for bending cold metal (or moulding potter's clay) to the required shape; also, a
die or stamp for shaping metal on an anvil, in a press, etc.

  1812 P. NICHOLSON Mech. Exerc., Smithing 353 Swages, all instruments used to give the form or
contour of any moulding, &c. used in the same manner as the rounding tool. 1831 J. HOLLAND Manuf.
Metal I. ix. 147 The sides of the metal are then bent up with swages in the usual way, so as to
bring the two edges as close together as possible. 1832 BABBAGE Econ. Manuf. xi. 69 The smith..has
small blocks of steel into which are sunk cavities of various shapes; these are called swages, and
are generally in pairs. Thus if he wants a round bolt, terminating in a cylindrical head of larger
diameter,..he uses a corresponding swaging-tool. 1834-6 Encycl. Metrop. VIII. 454/1 (Pottery)
With..finger and thumb,..or with his fingers only, he gives the first rude form to the vessel, and
by a swage, rib, or other utensil,..smooths the inside. 1839 URE Dict. Arts 379 In order to make
the bolster of a given size,..it is introduced into a die, and a swage placed upon it. 1883 CRANE
Smithy & Forge 30 Swages..consist of tools having certain definite shapes, so that the hot iron,
being placed in or below them, takes their shape when struck.

  attrib. 1843 HOLTZAPFFEL Turning I. 225 A swage-tool five feet long worked by machinery. Ibid.
231 The holes in the swage block..are used after the manner of heading tools for large objects.
Ibid. 427 The metal may be gradually reduced by one pair of swage-bits. 1854 A. E. BAKER
Northampt. Gloss., Swage, to work iron in a groove, or into any particular form. The anvil
employed for this purpose is called a swage-anvil. 1869 RANKINE Machine & Hand-tools Pl. P9, The
swage-hammer.

swage, v. 1

a. AF. suag(i)er, swag(i)er, OF. *souagier, = Pr. suaujar, suauzar:pop. L. *suvire, parallel form
to *assuvire, whence OF. asouagier to ASSUAGE, of which swage is partly an aphetic derivative.]

    = ASSUAGE.    a. trans. To appease, mitigate, pacify, relieve, reduce, abate.

    (a) emotion, violent action, troubled thoughts, cares, etc.

  a1300 Cursor M. 13868 He suaged him wit wordes heind. c1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. Wace (Rolls) 4570
Whan sire Cesar..Had pesed & swaged al ther ire. a1450 Knt. de la Tour ix, Fastinge is an
abstinence of vertu, right couenable to swage the yre of God. c1450 Guy Warw. (Cambr. MS.) 5266
Tyll they be swaged..And chastysed thorow er owtrage. 1508 FISHER 7 Penit. Ps. vi. Wks. (1876) 4
The woodnesse of the foresayd wycked spyryte sholde be mytygate and swaged. 1562 PILKINGTON Expos.
Abdyas Pref. 13 To abate their pride, & swage their malice. 1638-56 COWLEY Davideis III. 353 Thus
chear'd he Saul, thus did his fury swage. 1667 MILTON P.L. I. 556 Nor wanting power to mitigate
and swage With solemn touches, troubl'd thoughts. 1671  Samson 184 Apt words have power to swage
The tumors of a troubl'd mind.

    (b) bodily injury or pain, swelling, etc.

  c1305 Pilate 175 in E.E.P. (1862) 116 His hurte was al swaged. 1398 TREVISA Barth. De P.R. V.
xxxiii. (Bodl. MS.), A marie of fatnes..to swage the coldnes of bones of the breeste plaate. c1400
Lanfranc's Cirurg. 165 εeue him metis & drynkis that mowe swage the cowεe. c1480
HENRYSON Sum Practysis of Medecyne 33 With the snowt of ane selch, ane swelling to swage. 1547-64
BAULDWIN Mor. Philos. (Palfr.) 163 All doubtfull diseases to swage and to cure. 1582 STANYHURST
Æneis III.
(Arb.) 91 With roots of eeche herb I swadgde my great hunger. 1612 WOODALL Surg. Mate Wks. (1653)
32 It swageth the pains and stitches of the breast. 1882 Lancs. Gloss., Suage, swage..to remove a
swelling by fomentation.

    (c) storm, wind, heat, or other physical force. Also in fig. context (cf. (a)).

  a1340 HAMPOLE Psalter lxxxviii. 10 [lxxxix. 9] Thou ert lord til the myght of the see: the
stirynge..of the stremys of it thou swagis. 1408 tr. Vegetius' De Re Milit. (MS. Digby 233 lf.
225/1) The hete of the sonne smotheth and swageth the scharpe blastes of the wyndes. c1450 tr. De
Imitatione III. xxxix. 110 Thou..swagist the mevinges of his flodes. 1513 DOUGLAS Æneis I. iii. 84
Thus said he, and with that word hastely The swelland seis hes swagit. 1549-62 STERNHOLD & H. Ps.
li. 8 And that my strength may now amend, which thou hast swagde for my trespace. 1582 STANYHURST
Æneis II. (Arb.) 47 Thee wynds with bloodshed were swagd. a1600 MONTGOMERIE Misc. P. xxxi. 43
(Laing MS.) Thy angell withe thame abod the fyre to suaige. 1635 QUARLES Embl. III. iii. 18
Quench, quench my flames, and swage these scorching fires. 1849 FABER Hymn ‘Sweetness in Prayer’
i, What shall I do for thee, poor heart! Thy throbbing heat to swage?

    (d) To digest. Obs.

  1768 ROSS Helenore I. 52 Her stammack had nae maughts sick meat to swage.

    b. intr.    (a) To be appeased, relieved, or reduced; to decrease, abate.

  c1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. Wace (Rolls) 9676 Til he were warysched of his syknesse, Or his penaunce
y-swaged lesse. c1375 Cursor M. 24350 (Fairf.) Quen that squyme be-gan to squage. c1412 HOCCLEVE
De Reg. Princ. 4203 (Roxb.) 151 They felt his expenses swage, And were to hym vnkynde. a1425 tr.
Arderne's Treat. Fistula, etc. 100 The pacient was delyuered of akyng and the arme biganne for to
swage. 1525 LD. BERNERS Froiss. II. i. 3 Than swaged the loue bitwene him and Sir Barnabo. 1545 T.
RAYNALDE Byrth Mankynde II. vii. (1634) 137 If one of the brests swage which before was in good
liking, the other remaining sound and safe. a1548 HALL Chron., Rich. III, 36 Lest the dukes
courage should swage, or hys mynd should agayne alter. 1602 R. CAREW Cornwall 106b, Where salt and
fresh the poole renues As Spring and drowth encrease or swage. 1609 Ev. Woman in Hum. I. i. in
Bullen O. Pl. IV, That mooving marish element that swels and swages as it please the Moone. 1702
C. MATHER Magn. Chr. VI. ii. (1852) 356 The brains left in the child's head would swell and swage,
according to the tides.

    (b) to swage of: to mitigate, abate. Obs.

  c1440 York Myst. xxx. 371 Bidde them swage of ther sweying.

swage, v. 2

[Of obscure origin; if the root-meaning is ‘swing’, it is perh. an early form of SWAG v.]

    1. intr. To direct a blow, swing.

  c1400 Destr. Troy 7430 The sun of Theseus..choppit to Ector: With a swyng of his sword swagit on
the prinse.

    2. trans. To discharge (a gun or ballista).

  c1420 ? LYDG. Assembly of Gods 1038 He gan swage gonnes as he had be woode. c1440 Promp. Parv.
219 Gunnare, or he at swagythe a gunne, petrarius, mangonalius.

swage, v. 3

[f. SWAGE n.2 Cf. SWEDGE v.]

    trans. To shape or bend by means of a swage.

  1831 J. HOLLAND Manuf. Metal I. ix. 141 The article being thus hammered, is next pared with
shears to the shape required, after which it is swaged or turned up at the edges. 1832, 1854 [see
SWAGE n.2 2b]. 1838 F. W. SIMMS Pub. Wks. Gt. Brit. 48 The bolt to be swaged and made truly
cylindrical. 1877 W. JONES Finger-ring 266 A ring..found at Fransham, has the hoop swaged or
twisted. 1904 Times 20 Aug. 7/6 The sectional poles shall be..swaged together when hot so as to
make a perfect joint.