[Sca-cooks] Seeking

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 6 16:43:37 PDT 2005

It's not so much that the sour taste is new, but that it is localized.
Sourdoughs depend on a balance of wild yeast and lactobacilli.  The flavor
of the bread is dependent upon the acids (primarily lactic acid) produced by
the lactobacilli.  Different lactobacilli produce different quantities of
acid which in turn make the taste of each sourdough close to unique.
Lactobacilli may be limited to a very small area as in the case of real San
Francisco sourdough.

The extreme sourness in San Franciso sourdough is due to (IIRC) a mixture of
Candida millerensis and Lactobacillus sanfrancisco with L. sanfrancisco
being the primary producer of lactate, ethanol and carbon dioxide in the
mix.  If you want the full picture take a look at heterofermentative
lactobacilli.

Faking the sour taste is done by adding citric acid to the dough.

Bear