[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 6 18:43:48 PDT 2005

Check out Campi's the Fruit Seller.  There is a dark green pumpkin-like
squash with orange flesh that is probably related to acorn squash or might
be one of the "Japanese pumpkins."  A detailed examination of that part of
the painting shows a stem that appears to be deeply grooved, indicative of
a New World cucurbit.  The painting is about 1595, give or take a few years.

Bear