[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Mon Jun 6 20:05:54 PDT 2005

I believe that those are melons in the picture. Probably related to the
cantaloupe.
As for melopepon, I have seen it referred to as musk melon. Melo = melon and
pepon = apple. In Gerard,"...or melopepon: by reason that pepo hath the
smell of an apple, whereto the smell of this fruit is like; having withall
the smell as it were of Muske:which for that cause are also named Melones
Muschatellini, or Muske Melons."
So if Erdapfel = melopopon, then you are probably looking at musk melons and
not winter squash.

In Gerard, sowbread and birthwort are  referred to as Apples of the earth.

Lyse