[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 7 07:04:15 PDT 2005

The detail of the stems is wrong for melon.  Melons have round stems as do
gourds.  New World squash have grooved stems.

As for the Latin, the language was fixed before New World squashes arrived
in the Old World and it was never very specific about precise identification
(Pliny lumped melons and cucumbers together and Platina refers to oranges as
citrons).  Expanding the definition of a Latin word to include new things
occurred.  Therefore, I think I'll stand by the interpretation of squash.

As for Gerard, he wasn't speaking German.  He was using common regional
English names.  Common names are given to change and to refer to different
things in different regions.  Erdapfel now refers to the white potato.

Bear