[Sca-cooks] A Note on Steamed Puddings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 7 10:16:05 PDT 2005

Since there was a bit of question on when doughs began being steamed rather
than boiled, I can say that it occurred in Antiquity.  "Erneum" is a pastry
similar to Cato's "placenta."  It was made in an earthenware jar which was
boiled in a copper cauldron, a method similar to some of the later pudding
recipes.  To extract the cake, the jar was broken.

This doesn't mean that the method was used in period, just that it was known
before period.

The information is given in C. Anne Wilson's "I'll to Thee a Simnel Bring"
from PPC 19, 1985.

Bear