[Sca-cooks] A Note on Steamed Puddings

Jenn Strobel jenn.strobel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:09:50 PDT 2005

I'm not familiar with Cato's "placenta" so I looked around a bit and
found the original recipe and some discusson on it, but i'm not
entirely clear as to how one would "build" it.  Has anyone actually
made this recipe and have any insight?

Odriana

On 6/7/05, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Since there was a bit of question on when doughs began being steamed rather
> than boiled, I can say that it occurred in Antiquity.  "Erneum" is a pastry
> similar to Cato's "placenta."  It was made in an earthenware jar which was
> boiled in a copper cauldron, a method similar to some of the later pudding
> recipes.  To extract the cake, the jar was broken.
>
> This doesn't mean that the method was used in period, just that it was known
> before period.
>
> The information is given in C. Anne Wilson's "I'll to Thee a Simnel Bring"
> from PPC 19, 1985.
>
> Bear

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
-Frank Zappa