[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 23:22:56 PDT 2005

  Lady Ljufvina "Lavender" Bjornsdottir asked:
> I'm working up a Feast menu from Rumpolt and have a question about the
> Earth Apples recipe. Were these sweet potatoes or squash? I'm a
> stickler
> for documentation and if it is Sweet Potatoes are there any other
> sources I can use to document them except this vague reference.

I don't remember the term "Earth Apples" being discussed before. If
someone else does indicate that this was the sweet potato, then you
might want to look at the information given in this file in the
FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
potatoes-msg     (89K) 1/23/05   Period white and sweet potato use.
Recipes.

Part of the problem you may have is differentiating between white and
sweet potatoes as they don't seem to in the period texts. However, many
of the recipes are similar to how we might cook sweet potatoes today
and wouldn't seem to work as well with white potatoes. From the
discussions we've had here, I think most of the recipes given are for
sweet potatoes.

For some info on squash, check this file: