[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Madness: ants

Heather Murray margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 8 13:38:15 PDT 2005

Samrah wrote:

>Essential oil of mint (any mint) used straight.  The "experts" say the little buggers can't smell their trail and get lost.  Mostly I think they just don't like it ;o)
>
>Samrah
>
>Kathleen A Roberts <karobert at unm.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:37:49 -0400
>"Phlip"
>wrote:
>

>>When you come back, to remove the ants from the sugar,
>>but the sugar in a
>>thin layer on a flat pan, and run it under the broiler
>>for a few seconds-
>>not enough to cook the sugar, just enough to vaporize
>>the ants.
>>
>>Sprinkling dry grits around will eventually kill them.
>>

>i have ants who like to stroll in thru the switch for the
>garbage disposal... go figger....
>
>this time of year, i use an orange based detergent, and
>spray it all around the switch plate. they hate it. it
>deters the for a few days.
>
>i hear the little buggers don't like cloves either.
>
>cailte

Well, I can give you directions for another one. The ants hate it, but
they're still coming in. Watermelon was left out on the counter
yesterday. Today I have, literally, thousands of them on one of my
counter spaces. Take my word: thousands. Kicker is, they're coming in
through a gap between two cabinets, and that gap goes all the way to the
top, which is some 10" from the ceiling. They're coming in from up
there, somewhere, somehow, and we have fourteen-foot ceilings, so I
can't get 'em all, or get to their point of entry to seal or stink it up..

I put white vinegar in a spray bottle. Moved all the watermelon to the
sealed trash, put in a bit of lemon oil into said vinegar, swish to mix,
squirt, squirt, squirt. I have a plethora of dead ants - I've got to
take a picture to get to the apartments so that *maybe* they'll spray
the outside. like they're supposed to do.

Margaret Northwode, relative newcomer, tired of living with the ants