[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 14:38:11 PDT 2005

> I believe that those are melons in the picture. Probably related to the
> cantaloupe.
> As for melopepon, I have seen it referred to as musk melon. Melo = melon and
> pepon = apple. In Gerard,"...or melopepon: by reason that pepo hath the
> smell of an apple, whereto the smell of this fruit is like; having withall
> the smell as it were of Muske:which for that cause are also named Melones
> Muschatellini, or Muske Melons."
> So if Erdapfel = melopopon, then you are probably looking at musk melons and
> not winter squash.

Greetings,

I am aware that a television show is not wonderful documentation, and
just because it is on TV does not make it so, but I wanted to check
something out regarding the issue you just brought up.

On a recent (new) good eats about melon Alton Brown said that the vast
majority of Americans have never eaten a true canteloupe and that the
menlons sold as canteloupe in the United States are actually Musk
Melons.

So, all you learned botinists, reasearchers and such out there - is
there anything to his claim?

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva