[Sca-cooks] Earth Apples?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 7 19:48:08 PDT 2005

One source with a photo researcher named Jenny de Gex identifies them as
vegetable marrows although the reproducton in the source isn't good enough
for me to make a determination.  Most reproduction of the Fruit Seller
aren't good enough to make a determination.  I had looked at a half dozen of
them before I got to view a superb reproduction about 14 x 20 from Tauschen
that gave me enough detail to make a tentative identification of squash.
Forget about trying to make an identification with digital images, they
aren't good enough.

Melopepon is Greek, but it was adopted into Latin.  A literal translation is
"apple melon."

Melopepo is used in the Linnean taxonomy as Cucurbita pepo melopepo and
Cucurbita melopepo.  Precisely what is covered by the name is difficult to
discern without a serious review of the taxonomy, but apparently it is used
to refer to squashes which have soft interiors like a melon (which may be
usage in the information I got from Thomas Gloning) and that turban and
patti pan squashes may fall into the grouping.  However, I consider this
cursory information and certainly subject to revision with deeper study.

Bear