[Sca-cooks] Lost recipe?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 12 17:48:08 PDT 2005

Terri Morgan wrote:

>Please forgive me, I don't even know if this List is the one that had the
>discussion about what I'm about to ask... someone, somewhen recently, was
>discussing a late (LATE) 16th century recipe dealing with cooking sweet
>potatoes and apples together. It intrigued me enough that I bought the
>ingredients yesterday and now - I can't find the recipe! Does this sound
>remotely familiar to anyone?
>

>Hrothny the confused

I wasn't discussing it recently, but I have used such a recipe for a
feast I cooked for Lochmere's Night on the Town a couple of years back.
The following is the recipe from Joseph Cooper, /The Art of Cookery
Refin’d and Augmented /by way of Madge Lorwin's /Dining with William
Shakespeare. /The dish was delicious and folks seemed to really enjoy it.

  _Stewed Potatoes_

**1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
1 pound tart cooking apples
5 tbsp. Brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
4 tbsp. Butter, diced
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup candied orange peel, diced

Bake the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes at 400°. Peel them and
cut them into thin slices. Core and peel the apples and slice them thin.

Mix 3 tbsp. of the sugar with the cinnamon and ginger. Butter a
casserole with one tbsp. of the butter and put a layer of sliced apples
into it. Sprinkle a little of the sugar-spice mixture and bits of diced
butter over them. Cover with a layer of sliced potatoes, sprinkle a
little of the sugar-spice mixture and dot with butter. Continue layering
apples and potatoes as abofve until all are in the casserole.

Pour the wine vinegar over the top and sprinkle with the remaining two
tbsp. of sugar. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until the
potatoes and apples are tender. Dot the dish with candied orange peel
and serve hot.

Original: Boyle or roast your Potatoes very tender, and blanch [peel]
them; cut them into thin slices, put them into a dish or stewing pan,
put to them three or foure Pippins sliced thin, a good quantity of
beaten Ginger and Cynamon, Verjuice, Sugar and butter; stew these
together an hour very softly; dish them being stewed enough, putting to
them Butter and Verjuice beat together, and stick it full of green
Sucket or Oreengado, or some such liquid sweet-meat; sippit it and
scrape Sugar on it, and serve it up hot to the table. – Joseph Cooper,
/The Art of Cookery Refin’d and Augmented./

Lorwin, Madge. /Dining with William Shakespeare.
/

Kiri
//