[Sca-cooks] Need help with a translation [Slightly OT]

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Mon Jun 13 22:00:53 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>  John Kemker replied to me with:
>
>> Hmmm.....
>>
>> Your references point me back to Master Wulfric, for the most part.
>

> Oh! Okay, I guess I didn't remember that. I thought I remembered a lot
> of the info coming from Bear.

Yes, Bear pointing to Wulfric.

>> They also show lettering on the stamps.
>

> Hmmm. Okay. Obviously I haven't spent any time at Wulfric's site. Are
> the letters actually readable after the bread is baked? I would have
> thought the bread would have risen enough that even if the letters
> were still visible, they probably wouldn't be readable. Time to go
> back and read my own files. :-)

I wouldn't say *extremely* legible.  I'd say "legible if you knew what
was on there to begin with."  And the entire text of "Good bread is no
sin." may not fit.  In that case, we'd probably shorten the mark's
wording to "Good Bread" or "No Sin"  (Or, some with "Good Bread" and
others with the rest of the motto.)

>> More research is called for.
>

> If you find more info, I'd appreciate a message I could add to the
> bread-stamps-msg file. This is a subject that is probably unknown to
> many SCA folks. And any first hand information on the experience of
> making and using such stamps would also be nice.

Certainly.  To begin with, I'm trying to get as much of Wulfric's
bibliography to examine first-hand through the library.  We'll see where
we go from there.