[Sca-cooks] Re: Pasta experiment (long)

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:14:29 PDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Because someone else selected the theme for this feast I find myself
> in unfamiliar waters. Specifically Norman Sicily at the end of the
> reign of Roger II. One of the texts I have been reading for clues as
> to what to serve is "Pasta" by Serventi and Sabban. It states that
> Sicily during the 12th and 13th centuries was the primary exporter of
> Dried Pasta. So I thought that would be a logical foodstuff to serve.
>
> So, further in the text they discuss the different manuscripts that
> have directions for preparing the pasta. Apparently the general
> Medieval/Rennisance concensus is that pasta, dried or fresh, needed to
> be cooked for between 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. And the concept of al
> Dente is decidedly OOP.
>
> Al dente may not be as OOP as you think.
>
> I have, myself, cooked dried pasta for at least half an hour, in broth or a broth-like sauce. The key was a very low heat that produced an extremely gentle simmer. Done right, you don't even have to add liquid to it. Yes, the liquid in the pan will reduce, but that's the idea anyway.

hmm, indeed the first year I was at university, our kitchen was so
utterly crowded that I would cook rice, spaghetti, couscous by boiling
water and puttign the water together with the rice/couscous/spaghetti
into a hot water bottle. by time the rest of my dinner was finished
the rice/spaghetti/couscous would be just right.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"