[Sca-cooks] *Experiment*

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 16 03:12:11 PDT 2005

On Jun 16, 2005, at 1:05 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Vladimir asked:
>
>> How did that [cuskynoles] debate ever turn out anyway?
>>

> Inconclusive. For a "Reader's Digest" version of the discussion,
> see this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
> cuskynoles-msg    (44K)  8/21/00    A medieval fruit-filled pasta
> dish.

FWIW, I believe the last word on the subject was, essentially, "Well,
maybe we can't be sure after all..." which is pretty much what I had
been pushing for (and opting for a simpler but functional  approach
because of that). Specifically, this was in light of some questions
that had been raised about the faithfulness/integrity/accuracy of the
decision of the English scribe for the recipe we'd been looking at to
associate that particular illustration with that recipe... <takes
deep breath for further run-on sentence-spouting>... BECAUSE...  we'd
found an earlier recipe in a French-language source that A) provided
a somewhat different illustration, and B) provided another and more
or less unrelated recipe (cressee) which also came with an
illustration which looked a lot like the one that Hieatt and Butler
included with their edition of the English version of the cuskynole
recipe.

What we were left with was a need to look at the original
manuscripts, since in both cases there appeared to be both some kind
of scribal transposition shift of the illustration, and some question
of the accuracy of Hieatt's rendering of the illustrations for both
the English and French versions of the recipes -- the French edition
in Speculum is hand-drawn and the English one in Curye On Inglysch is
rendered more or less in some kind of ASCII, and this is all
complicated by the fact that the recipe for cressee, the only _other_
known English early medieval recipe that comes with a diagram which,
BTW, somewhat resembles the cuskynole illustration, and which appears
to be mysteriously absent from the English rendering of the earlier
French source.

In a nutshell, the conclusion as I understand it is (heavy
paraphrasing):

C.: This is the only, or one of the only, medieval recipes that comes
with a diagram, so why not be faithful to the diagram?

A.: I'm not that far off the diagram, and even if I am, how much
stock can we place in the illustration when it seems quite possible
the illustration was switched at birth for its Evil Twin by a no-
account English scribe in the early-to-mid 14th century? And a clumsy
attempt to conceal this crime was made?

C.: <shrug> Who the h**l knows? Let's get a drink and go back to the
original manuscripts.

Which is where we left it, as I recall. Perhaps His Grace recalls it
differently, but yes, I agree, it was "inconclusive". But don't
worry, I was still His Grace's rhetorical and forensic bi-atch.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04