[Sca-cooks] Re: Flavored vinegar

RUTH EARLAND rtannahill at verizon.net
Fri Jun 17 11:12:54 PDT 2005

Brighid wrote:

> I'm thinking of making some flavored vinegar, probably rose vinegar.
> The "Obra de Agricultura" says it can be made with dried roses.  That
> suits me, because I can buy food-safe rosebuds in the health food store,
> and I don't have a source of pesticide-free fresh roses.
>
> The "recipe" calls for steeping the roses in the vinegar, and leaving
> the bottle in a sunny place for 40 days.  This seems similar to modern
> recipes I've seen for homemade herb vinegars.
>
> Any comments?  Is this a safe method, assuming that I sterilize the
> bottle first?

Wow. That sounds phenomenal. I hope you save some for a baronial business
meeting. I think it would make a wonderful beverage or sauce component.

This method is perfectly safe. Vinegar is not a good breeding ground for
anything but more vinegar.

If your roses are brightly colored and you want a pink or red vinegar, you
might want to think about using amber glass or crockery (assuming that's
food safe--some of the older glazes might leach into vinegar. If you give me
a shout off-list I might be able to drum up an amber bottle or 2 for you.

Berelinde