[Sca-cooks] Re: Flavored vinegar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 17 22:54:14 PDT 2005

  Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> You should have offered your two maravedi instead; it's from Spain.
> :-)
>
> It's out of a 1551 edition of a Spanish agricultural manual by Gabriel
> Alonso de Herrera.  He discusses methods of making vinegar,

Okay, this sounded interesting, but I was wondering if you had
mentioned this before. And Lo! you had. For those who might be
interested in the original (and Brighid's translation), it is given
towards the end of this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
vinegar-msg       (78K) 12/21/04    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

> and mentions a few variations on the standard wine vinegar.

Do you mean variations of the standard wine vinegar by adding
flavorings? Or variations made by using other starting points than
wine? You didn't post your translation of that section, so I can't tell
from what is in my file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas