[Sca-cooks] verjuice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 17 23:49:20 PDT 2005

Radei replied to me with:
> may I ask what the method is for turning the drabapples into verjuice?

Of course. But that doesn't mean I have the answer. :-)

I don't think anyone has pointed to a period description for making
verjuice, yet. We've even had some discussions recently about whether
verjuice was mainly derived from grapes pruned from the vines or
whether they grew grapes specifically for making verjuice. I would
check this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
verjuice-msg     (101K) 12/15/04    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.

> I have a large crabapple tree in my yard and have always just let the
> apples go.  would be nice to use them for something.  I can only eat so
> much jelly<g>.

That is an interesting question. Does anyone know what else crabapples
might have been made into or used for in period? Crabapples are little
red, hard fruit a bit bigger than a golf ball, right? I keep think of
what we called "horse apples" when I was a kid. About softball size,
bright green and covered in a grainy, bumpy hard surface. But as far as
I know, those aren't edible.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas