[Sca-cooks] Seasoning a Potjie

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 19 11:29:51 PDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 19. Juni 2005 05:22 schrieb Stefan li Rous:

> > I suspect your best option, from what you're
> > describng, is to put it over a hefty bed of coals.
>
> I agree with Phlip that this is probably your best solution. If you
> need to do it before you go camping with it, and you live in a location
> you can do this, putting the pot over a fire of charcoal briquets
> should work. "No officer, there isn't anything in the pot. I'm just
> cooking the pot. Oh, no fires in the city parks? Oh." :-)

:)

A friend of mine has a garden plot where I can do it. She also offered me a
corner of it for a herb garden, so that's promising. AND she is a skilled
potter. If we can arrange this, I think the best thing would be to have a big
fire there, season the pot for a few hours while digging the garden, then try
bake a roast in clay in the embers and use the potjie for a veggie stew and/
or bread to go with it. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Saturday.

I'll have to make her something nice in return. Maybe a leather costrel.

Giano