[Sca-cooks] Seasoning a Potjie

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 18 20:22:50 PDT 2005

  Phlip replied to Giano with:
> > Would a paint-stripping heat gun work? 'cause I just bought a cheap
> > one, and
> > it sure is no good for stripping paint.
> >
> > Giano
>
> Doesn't get to the right temps.

Yep. Even if the heat gun has enough temperature on it's own,
temperature is not the same as heat. You are trying to heat an awfully
large heat sink with a huge surface area to metal volume ratio. I'm not
even sure you could get the area immediately under the torch to a
proper temperature because the heat is going to want to transfer
through the metal readily and then into the air with that much surface
area.

> I suspect your best option, from what you're
> describng, is to put it over a hefty bed of coals.

I agree with Phlip that this is probably your best solution. If you
need to do it before you go camping with it, and you live in a location
you can do this, putting the pot over a fire of charcoal briquets
should work. "No officer, there isn't anything in the pot. I'm just
cooking the pot. Oh, no fires in the city parks? Oh." :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com