[Sca-cooks] Hulwa? Related Sweets?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 18:28:00 PDT 2005

Amra asked:
> Having been introduced to this confection today by HL Saqra al-Kudsi,
> in her
> kitchen as part of advanced preparation for Lindenwood Midsummer Masked
> Ball
> this year, I am looking for more information about the origins,
> variations,
> and related developments that may exist out there.  (For those who may
> be as
> new to this concept as I was, hulwa [hul-wah?] might be considered an
> ancestor or parallel development of divinity and similar boiled-sugar
> candies...)

There is info on Halwa and recipes in these two Florilegium files in
the FOOD-SWEETS section:
candy-msg        (221K)  3/28/05    Period candy. Recipes. Candied
fruit peels.
desserts-msg     (134K)  6/17/04    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes.
Sweets.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas