[Sca-cooks] Verjuice grape question?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jun 20 17:44:07 PDT 2005

Wow! Where are you located? The my neighbor's grapes are about the size
of pinheads, and don't ripen until September....
Your in-laws grapes would probably work just fine, although I don't know
that concord-type grapes are period.  But what the heck, they're free,
right?  I'm gonna try verjuice this fall, too, and was talking about it
with a friend who's a professional brewer (has her own winery), and she
says that for verjuice, you actually want them partly on the way to
being ripe, instead of completely green.  Something about maximizing the
juice and getting a *little* of the natural sugars.  She also said that
when you mash up the grapes, to use, IIRC, a little pectic enzyme?,
which will also help give you more juice, and to let the treated grapes
sit for 24 hours before you actually juice them.
--maire