[Sca-cooks] trivets and dutch ovens

Micyalah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Jun 22 10:45:53 PDT 2005

> I was able to cook for 4 years at Colonial Williamsburg
> without using a trivet in the ovens.  Of course, it is nice
> to have an actual hearth to cook on, and maybe that makes the
> difference between needing and not needing a trivet.

I suppose it depends on what you are cooking or baking. Anything that goes
into a pan, and then into the oven should, imo, be off the floor of the
Dutch oven. You are just asking for trouble not to mention uneven cooking.
But if you are cooking directly in the Dutch oven then of course the trivet
is moot.

In a lot of cases here in Ealdormere, camping events (and seasonal law) can
prohibit the use of open fire. A small piece of sand and some
charcoal/briquettes do fine in a pinch. Actually I get better temperature
control with charcoal. Does anyone else use this method?

Micaylah