[Sca-cooks] trivets and dutch ovens

Ron Carnegie r.carnegie at verizon.net
Wed Jun 22 10:59:10 PDT 2005

   I have never used briquets, but I always use coals, that is how the heat should be controlled.  Using actual flame, which I have seen attempted far to often, than you ask for trouble.  Like Lady Ann, I also have never had difficulty with uneven baking and have never used a trivet in my dutch ovens.  I also almost never cook directly in the oven, but rather use it as an oven, with the baked item being within its own pan.  I have done rolls, pies, puddings, and kickshaws all this way.  I have done some meats this way as well, though I prefered to put those on the clock jack.  I agree that the use of the hearth helps, as it provides some reflective heat itself, but I have used this same method successfully however a campfire as down hearth.

  No need for a trivet, just proper use and administration of coals is sufficient.

Ranald de Balinhard