[Sca-cooks] Verjuice grape question?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 23 11:20:51 PDT 2005

>Thanks Bear!  I should have thought of that, and the taste info on
>Concords is really helpful.
>Samrah
>
>  Bear wrote:
>In that they had white and red wine in period, I would say white and red
>grapes were available and probably the green ones [snipped]  . . . the
>different colors show up in Renaissance paintings. [snipped]  The Concord
>grapes have a sharper, harsher taste than their European counterparts.

Living in the Fingerlakes, I should be able to cite sources, but all I can
say is I think you can make white wine from "red" grapes.  It depends on
how long the crushed grapes are kept with the skins before
separating.  That said, though, we grow both kinds here, and period artwork
does show grapes of all colors.

Sandra