[Sca-cooks] verjuice

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jun 23 12:50:12 PDT 2005

> >Right, but you have them way to big.  Crabapples are about the size of a
> >cherry. and slightly bitter. not pleasent eating without sweetening.
>
> Not entirely true...
> there are "juicing" or "cider" varieties of crabapples that yeild fruit a little larger than a baby's fist.
> I have one suc on my property. they whole area in which my house was developed was, at the turn of the 20th century, a massive apple orchard, with a lot of cider business, so we have a lot of apples, wild, in the area. I have three varieties in my 1/2 acre alone.
> If it werent for the bugs, I'd be floating in cider.

We had crabapple trees on our property when I was a kid, they produced
fruits about 3-4" in diameter. Basically wild apple trees produce fruits
*any size they want to* because the genetic process of wild apple seed
production is a total crapshoot.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
""So that's what librarians do: Share knowledge. Share pleasure. Share
ideas for a better world." -- MaryLaine Block