[Sca-cooks] Re: Manti

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 24 14:14:48 PDT 2005

Not by that name.  There is a similar Persian dish called "joshparag", which is a meat ravioli
cooked in yoghury and triangular in shape, but two arms of the triangle are twisted together.
Charles Perry doesn't mention manti as a relative.  He does link it to Turkish meat pie called
"borek" and to a Russian meat ravioli "pelmeni".

---------This was definitely not pie-like. I've been looking for manti recipes on the Web; the ravioli are cooked separately and then covered with the yogurt sauce. Found out that manti are called in modern Turkey are called "Tatar bregi" or "boerek of the Tatars." Manti were said to have originated in central Asia; I found some Uzbek references to them.

As for "Medieval Arab Cookery", Amazon wants $60 for the book.  Hopefully, you have another $35 +
s/h gift certificate?

-------I'd pay $35 +s/h rather than $60 +s/h!

Gianotta