[Sca-cooks] Manti

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 25 01:16:08 PDT 2005

Christiane <christianetrue at earthlink.net> wrote:
>  Last night, we went to the other Turkish restaurant for dinner. My
>husband stuck with doner
>  kebab, but I tried manti, a Turkish meat-filled ravioli. I am now hooked.
>
>  The ravioli were small, triangular, and homemade, with a perfect
>pasta covering surrounding
>  delicately spiced ground meat. They came bathed in a sauce of
>yogurt, garlic, and cayenne pepper
>  with a little butter. Maybe a touch of sour cream. No tomato.
>
>  So, I went looking online today for manti references, and one I
>pulled up was a reference from
>  "Serving the Guest: a Sufi Cookbook and Art Gallery." The reference
>said manti were one of the
>  most ancient dishes in Turkic cuisine. How ancient, I don't know.
>Does "Medieval Arab Cookery"
>  make mention of them? (by the end of July this book should be mine,
>mine, mine, I have a $25
>  gift certificate to Amazon.com).
>
>  Gianotta

Look for the modern Afghan dish Ashak (there may be variant
spellings). It's pretty much the same thing as this Turkish dish.

I do remember that there is something rather like them and with a
similar name in "A Soup for the Qan" i'll have to look when i get
back from our June Crown (i really should be sleeping right now)

If you are interested in historic cooking and the influences of the
Muslim world on European cooking, "Medieval Arab Cookery" is an
absolute *treasure*. I don't remember if anything like them is in the
book - again, i'll have to look when i get back...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita