[Sca-cooks] Re: Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 05:12:07 PDT 2005

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my search for this.

I have discovered (well, re-discovered for myself) that tomatoes were quite
popular in late 1500's in Italy, this I know was never really in question.
I also know they were frequently used in sauces at that time.

> I'd love to see the sources. I'll even help translate them into English.  Currently I have a copy of just about every available Italian culinary and agrarian manuscript from the 14th through early 17th century.  Other than the translations I did with Mistress Brighid regarding the tomato references in early Italian and spanish works (see http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/mkcc/MKCCfiles/16thCITomatoReferences.html) I have not found a single other reference to the use of Tomatoes, growth of tomatoes or anything.

Helewyse de Birkestad, OL